- Spent our first year in the house we bought last year.
- Finally started buying cool art to hang on our walls.
- Hit a new weight low of 205.5 pounds.
- Ran the Terrapin 5k, Bucktown 5k, Hot Chocolate 5k, and the Turkey Trot 8k.
- Ran my best recorded 5k at 28:23/9:08.
- Ran the 8k in under 50 minutes and made plans to run a half-marathon in 2011.
- Visited Wichita twice, the farm once and had lots of fun.
- Visited Hong Kong which was awesome.
- Went on our 3rd annual December trip to NYC.
- Bought my first suit: a bespoke grey herringbone two-piece suit by WWChan of Hong Kong. Also had two bespoke dress shirts made by the same tailors.
- Got my first truly nice pair of glasses, Dita Grand Reserves.
- Purchased my first “real” nice hat, a Renaissance by Tomaz & Williamson.
- Paid off a significant number of of my student loans in 2010 (!!)
- We wrote an iPad application—which involved a lot of sub-projects to support it that most people will never see, but take advantage of in day-to-day reading. These include a content API and user authentication system for the iPad app, as well as a content styling/munging service that lets us deliver optimized content for different platforms (iPad, HTML, RSS, mobile).
- Pushed out a whole new forums system—which has been a resounding success, judging from all the praise I hear from our hardcore forums users.
- Upgraded the commenting experience on Ars.
- Talked with the readers about keeping our comments sane and respectful.
- Had a fairly productive conversation with our readers about ad blocking, how ad supported new works, the future of how online journalism will be supported, and of course whitelisting sites you enjoy.
- Did a whole-site design refresh
- We surveyed the Ars readers about the type and quality of our coverage and released the results (part 2).
- Launched a month-to-month $5 subscription option.
- Broke 130,000 followers on Twitter and nearly 30,000 fans on Facebook.
- Published a lot of really awesome content.
- More and more people—increasingly in the mainstream—are discovering Ars and learning what heaps of people already know, that Ars is the best place for tech news, with a great community and writers who are just as nerdy and passionate as the readers. And that’s really cool ;)
Have a happy new year! 2011 is going to be so rad I can’t stand it ;)